This recipe makes four hamburger buns. You can double it to make 8 buns.
Normally I only need 4 buns so I love this recipe when I can not get to the store. It is quick and easy.
I have also used this recipe to make a small pan of dinner rolls. Just divide the dough into 6 pieces and place the balls into a small pan or baking dish.
This recipe rises really fast because of all the yeast that is in the recipe. So don’t go over the 20 minutes time to let the dough rest. In the summer time when my house is very warm I cut back on the yeast by only using a tablespoon and a half.
30 minutes Hamburger Buns
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water 95° to 105°
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour ( bread flour or all-purpose flour)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with shortening.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add beaten egg, salt, oil and 1 1/2 cups of flour and make a soft dough. If dough is too runny, add the rest of flour, a little at a time.
- Place dough on a floured surface to knead by hand, Or use a dough hook in a stand mixer to kneed. It will take about 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Then divide into 4 pieces and shape each into a ball. Dusting with more flour if needed. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Cover and let rest for 10 to 20 minutes*. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Cut in half to serve.