You start this salad with the combination of strawberries, nuts, onions and heartier greens as well as tender greens. Chicken can be leftovers or a boneless breast that has been cooked before making the salad. The dressing is added to the salad warm and will wilt the tender greens. It is a great lunch meal or evening meal on a hot day served with rolls.You can double the recipe if you are serving more then two. The citrus strawberry dressing is a Florida favorite.
Strawberry Chicken Salad with Warm Dressing (makes 2 servings)
- 3 cups of assorted greens
- 1 cup of strawberries sliced
- 2 thin slices of sweet onion or a chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup of pecans or walnuts toasted
- 1 to 2 cups of cubed chicken
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas thawed uncooked
- crumbled cheese (optional)
Toss all ingredients in a salad bowl. Serve with warm citrus dressing. Makes 2 servings.
Cooked Citrus Dressing
- 1/4 cup strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of orange juice
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
Add all ingredients in a blender or use a hand blender. You can mash the berries if you don’t have either first and then whisk by hand until blended. In a small pan bring just to boiling and simmer for 5 min. stirring occasionally. Cover and keep warm until serving.
I hope you give this salad a try. I know you are going to be pleasantly surprised at them. If you are feeding a group or want to make the dressings and store them just double the amount. The citrus one keeps for a couple of days refrigerated and can be warmed before serving.