Weather is starting to get warm and cool refreshing summer salads make their way into our meals. This salad is great because it takes advantage of fresh produce that you can find at the farmer’s markets. This salad has amazing flavors that really awakens your palate and easy to make. It starts with mixed baby greens and blueberries. Then you add some toasted nuts that you have on hand. Next important flavor is onion. Thinly sliced sweet onion or fresh spring green onions gives it a touch of savory. Other mild vegetables like fresh peas or cauliflower can also be added to bulk up it up for a main coarse lunch. Now for the contrasting flavor crumble some cheese like gorgonzola, feta, blue cheese or other strong flavored cheese. The cheese really makes the salad pop. Finally dress it with your own poppy seed dressing.
Poppy Seed Dressing
This is a cooked dressing that will keep in the refrigerator for weeks in a tight jar.
- 1/4 cup of sugar or equivalent sugar substitute
- 1/4 cup of cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried mustard ground
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt a little can be added later to the salad if wanted
- 1/4 cup of salad oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of poppy seeds
In a small pan over medium heat cook sugar, vinegar, salt and mustard until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and pour into a blender or use a electric mixer to add oil in a small steady stream. Then gently stir in poppy seed. This can be poured into a serving jar to chill before adding to the salad before serving. It can then be shook before serving after it has been stored.
- Seasonal tender greens
- Pecans or Walnuts toasted
- Summer fruit like blueberries, strawberries, or other fresh fruit
- Sliced mild onion into several slices separated into rings or sliced green onion.
- Optional other mild vegetables like fresh peas, carrots, or cauliflower.
- Strong flavored cheese crumbled like blue cheese or feta cheese.
Finish off with poppy seed dressing.
The amount you chose depends on how many servings you want. Salad making is more of a art then an actual recipe. This is what makes salads so much fun to do and enjoy because the combinations are endless.