An Americanized version of Cashew Chicken. Inexpensive and quick to make. For the sauces you only need dark soy sauce, ginger root and sugar. Cut up 1 or 2 chicken breasts and fry in oil then stir fry vegetables. Add sauce and cashews. Serve over cooked rice with a sprinkle of chopped green onions. This is a busy week night meal that takes less time then ordering take out.
Cashew Chicken with Broccoli and Carrots
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice.
- 2-3 teaspoons of grated fresh ginger root
- 3 tablespoons of light or dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil (optional)
- 1 or 2 chicken breast cut in bit sized pieces
- 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth or bouillon chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- I tablespoons of vegetable oil
- broccoli florets
- 2 carrots cut into matchsticks
- 2 green onions or 1/4 cup of finely chopped mild onion.
- I cup of salted roasted cashews.
Mix in a bowl the chicken, soy sauce, ginger, sugar and sesame oil, Let stand for 15 minutes.
Cook rice as directed so it will be ready when the chicken is.
Take a half of cup of chicken broth and stir in corn starch and set a side.
In a large skillet add the tablespoon of oil to stir fry chicken. Just dump the whole bowl with marinade into the skillet. Stir fry until the chicken in longer pink in center. Add broccoli and carrots and stir fry for a minute add broth. Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes. Now add the cornstarch mixture stirring until thickened. Add cashews and onions.
Serve over warm rice.
It is really quick and easy. You don’t even have to have a wok. American styled cashew chicken for when you are out of ideas.